Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Biosphere - Patashnik (1994)

At the time when Patashnik (Russian for 'scientist') was released I was about fifteen and not at all into electronic music but into 90s alternative rock and heavy metal (and some industrial). But then I heard Patashnik. I couldn't resist myself and went to the nearest cd shop and bought it. For me this was the beginning of a new dimension: electronic ambient music.

Extremely ethereal synthesisers that perfectly capture the solitude, desolation and spaced-outness of the utterly northern tip of Norway (where Biosphere aka Geir Jenssen lives and works most of the time) and eerie, almost mystifying samples make this one of the best ambient house albums to come from the 90s. I use the term 'ambient house' because Jenssen does not shy away from inserting a few dance tracks into the album. The first track, by the way, is so creepy and intense that I had to promise a friend I would never put this cd on in his presence. Absolutely superb for headphone ecstacy & a top ten list of all time!

    Tracks
  1. Phantasm (4:50)
  2. Startoucher (5:02)
  3. Decryption (6:04)
  4. Novelty Waves (6:27)
  5. Patashnik (6:13)
  6. Mir (5:18)
  7. The Shield (8:54)
  8. Seti Project (5:58)
  9. Mestigoth (1:43)
  10. Botanical Dimensions (5:43)
  11. Caboose (5:12)
  12. En-trance (4:40)
Total time: 76:05

Biosphere_Patashnik_256.part1.rar
Biosphere_Patashnik_256.part2.rar

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home