Thursday, May 04, 2006

The Orb - Orblivion (1997) and Cydonia (2001)

To continue along the lines of FSOL, I think The Orb suits splendidly. I'm in a bit of a hurry at the moment, as it's nice and warm outside - and things like that tend not to last too long here! According to most Orblivion is the better of the two albums posted just here, but I think that's more due to listeners' expectations of The Orb's earlier releases than an objective approach to either album. Fact remains, though, that Orblivion is definitely more psychedelic and experimental. Also lots of humour, and the part where the UK northerner speaks about Tjernobyl still freaks me out - can't help it...

The album The Orb released next, Cydonia (the name probably refers to a region in the northern hemisphere of Mars), has stronger elements of dub and dance music. What really sets this album apart from any of The Orb's earlier releases is that a lot of tracks use a superb female vocalist. (Sorry for the glitch at second five...) So here you have two very different albums from a great artist. I don't doubt for a second that most of you will like these. Enjoyez vous, as rather nobody says in Belgium!

Orb_Orblivion_256_vbr.part1.rar
Orb_Orblivion_256_vbr.part2.rar

Orb_Cydonia_256_vbr.part1.rar
Orb_Cydonia_256_vbr.part2.rar

4 Comments:

At 5/24/2006 7:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can you redo track 1 of Cydonia? There is a noticeable glitch 5 sec. into the song.

Thanks.

 
At 5/24/2006 11:45 AM, Blogger Paxjorge said...

I don't want to be impolite, but you could have informed yourself about that glitch. I did apolologise for it in the text dealing with the album. And I really am sorry about it: I'm sure it irritates me as much as it does you. Can't redo it, because it's on my original cd copy. (crap, isn't it?)

 
At 5/24/2006 2:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel so stupid now... I came to your page from another link and didn't bother reading the text. Thanks for the upload though!

 
At 5/24/2006 3:35 PM, Blogger Paxjorge said...

That's okay, I was only having a wee laugh. You're most welcome!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home