Wednesday, May 24, 2006

V.A. - Headz 2A & 2B (1996)

Mo' Wax is a UK-based record label owned by James Lavelle, who founded it in the early 1990s. The label is most famous for being a purveyor of the "Trip-Hop" sound, although many artists dislike the term, or prefer the broader "abstract hip-hop" tag, if the music must be labeled at all.

Mo' Wax released records by many artists over its years of existence, the most notable being by DJ Shadow, DJ Krush, Andrea Parker, Luke Vibert, Air, Dr. Octagon, Attica Blues, Money Mark, Malcom Catto, Nigo (of Bathing Ape fame), David Axelrod, South, Blackalicious, and Lavelle's own UNKLE. Lavelle made a deal with A&M Records in 1996. Currently, Mo' Wax is part of the Beggars Banquet Group, but there are rumors that the label itself has folded and is no longer putting out new releases.

Quite a number of reviews I came across weren't too enthousiastic about these four cds, but personally I've never been disappointed with having bought them when they came out in '96. Neither do I mind the tag "Trip Hop" - what's in a word...? This compilation brings you about five hours (I think) of pleasant, chilled out electronic music. As far as I'm concerned, I don't recall there being one bad track on the whole set. I don't think you'll be disappointed with these.

By the way, I've long been on the lookout for the original Headz, which nowadays is no longer available. So if any of you know where I can get it, or if someone would be so good to upload it for the world, that would be - sweet!

Oh yeah, I think I bungled up A1 & A2 (i.e. gave the folders the wrong names), but you can easily double-check and correct this by consulting the artwork which is provided with the "extra" file. Sorry.

Headz_II_A1_192.rar

Headz_II_A2_192.rar

Headz_II_B1_192.rar

Headz_II_B2_192.rar

Headz_II_extra.rar

9 Comments:

At 5/26/2006 1:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it sounds excellent indeed, thanks a lot for this.

 
At 5/26/2006 4:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are a diamond. I have these on LP, and the side with Grantby and Donut Productions is totally covered in scratches due to overplaying.

 
At 5/27/2006 6:44 PM, Blogger moveorgetsick said...

damn, how do u manage to put up a music entry everyday? good work around here, keep it up

 
At 5/30/2006 4:19 PM, Blogger rich said...

I was hooked on Mo'Wax when they first started. From Django to Trip Hop? I love that!

 
At 5/30/2006 8:30 PM, Blogger Paxjorge said...

Ah, someone who gets my point in being! Glad you like it!

 
At 9/04/2006 12:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unfortunately disk B II is no longer available. Could you upload it. Am I asking too much?
Great work!

 
At 9/04/2006 1:29 PM, Blogger Paxjorge said...

No worries, I'll re-up some time soon

 
At 2/18/2007 7:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

please re up

 
At 12/14/2007 11:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please re-up 2a. Been doing a lot of diggin' and can only find Headz2B. Thx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home