Monday, May 08, 2006

The Weakener - What do you know about it (1998)

I found this very strange album in my local cd shop about a month ago. It holds seven fairly long tracks, all created and mixed by M.J. Harris - some of you will know him from Scorn (see below and visit MoogPower) and, of course, Napalm Death. Which does not go as far as to say that you will like this release if you like either of the other two. The dubby feel of Scorn is no longer here: instead, Harris experiments with rhythms reminiscent of trip hop, also using many counterbeats to unsettle your expectations. What struck me most of all are the disturbing basslines, which on all tracks express something like lethargy or extreme boredom - highly claustrophobic, in fact. Harris' use of samples, though, is instantly recognisable (compare with Scorn). And interestingly, the liner notes once again mention Bill Laswell (see below as well). Not for everyone's pleasure, I presume, but worth giving a try as I haven't heard anything like this before. Note: I've had to upload the artwork separately as I had forgotten to add it to the original compressed file.

This one's for da MoogPower!

    Tracks
  1. Spotter (6:33)
  2. Closed door (9:39)
  3. Know nothing (6:06)
  4. Pinging (8:22)
  5. 50 route (6:39)
  6. This place (5:42)
  7. Silent dust (7:53)
The_Weakener_What_Do_You_Know_About_It_256.rar
Weakener_Artwork.rar

6 Comments:

At 5/12/2006 4:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Incredible post. Keep up the good work. ANything related to Harris, Laswell and Namlook is golden in my book.

 
At 5/16/2006 9:58 AM, Blogger Paxjorge said...

Yes, I think "methodical" is a pretty good adjective. Takes some getting used to. But I'm still unsure what I know about it...

 
At 12/18/2006 10:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The link is now dead. I´ll appreciate if you could find time to repost it. I know some of the work of Harris (Painkiller, and curiuosly Scorn´s Evanescence and Praxis´ Sacrifist CDs ...) and this one seams interesting. I´ve discovered your blog today and think I´ll be a regular visitor, what I´ve seen in a few minutes had been very intriguing, and I like the variety of genres you deal with.

Thanks and best wishes.

 
At 12/19/2006 6:34 PM, Blogger Paxjorge said...

Sure I'll repost this one. I've lost my cd version of Scorn's Evanescense and a few months ago deleted the mp3 version. Man do I feel stoopid.

I'm afraid most of the links on this blog will be dead by now, but if you tell me about something you like, I'll see what I can do about it.

 
At 1/03/2009 1:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As of i'm a little bit late since this post is 2rs old, is there any possibility to repost the link cause this is a must have work of mr Harris!

thanks in advance!

 
At 12/04/2009 5:14 AM, Blogger no one no where said...

Hi there, like the above comment, is there any possibility of this being reposted? This album of Mick's is way under the radar.
Much appreciate!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home