Thursday, June 01, 2006

Moondog Jr. - Every Day I Wear A Greasy Black Feather On My Hat (1995)

Moondog Jr. is a Belgian band led by the incredibly versatile and talented Stef Kamil Carlens. In august 1996 he left dEUS in order to concentrate more fully on his own work. In 1997, the group was compelled to change its name because an American blues artist called Louis Hardin (who performs in Germany under his artist name Moondog) had some complaints about the similarity of their names. The band changed it to Zita Swoon, of which I'll post an album pretty soon. When the "original" Moondog died in 2000, Zita Swoon didn't change their name back again.

In the reviews the parallel with dEUS gets mentioned quite often, but it's in fact more accurate to address similarities with Tom Waits. It is probably no coincidence that the album was produced by Michael Blair, who earned his fame through his work with Elvis Costello and Tom Waits. Influences clearly range between jazz, rock, blues, avant-garde and classical music. Complex arrangements and high level musicianship ensure that Every Day I Wear A Greasy Black Feather On My Hat is a very interesting and overally good album, albeit not the easiest of listenings. I don't often put it on, but nevertheless I do recommend it -- especially if you like Tom Waits' music (which I generally don't).
  • Stef Kamil Carlens: guitar, vocals, piano, percussion
  • Tom Pintens guitars: piano, harmonium, clarinet, vocals
  • Benjamin Boutreur: saxophone
  • Aarich Jespers: drums, percussion, pipes
  • Thomas De Smet: upright bass
Moondog_Jr_Every_Day_My_Hat_256.rar

9 Comments:

At 6/02/2006 5:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo Pax!
This is the
I got the goods Right Here.

 
At 6/02/2006 11:09 PM, Blogger Paxjorge said...

Thanks Chardman! I'll try and turn the link into a proper post one of these days - if you don't mind, that is. ;-)

 
At 6/02/2006 11:09 PM, Blogger Paxjorge said...

Chardman meets Shardwoman - and a universe was born!

 
At 6/03/2006 8:44 AM, Blogger Chardman said...

Look at if you dare.

 
At 6/03/2006 12:36 PM, Blogger Paxjorge said...

Chardman, I just checked out your artwork and I'm very impressed; even immediately turned your "Eternal Vigilace" into my desktop wallpaper. Ever thought about getting your stuff published in a book? I'm pretty sure you can find publishers willing to help you out. Perhaps you can try out NORMA Editorial or Paper Tiger Books? (Haha and if you ever do, please let me know so I can order the 101st copy!) Keep it up!!

 
At 6/03/2006 7:24 PM, Blogger Chardman said...

Ahhh!
That's not me!
I wish!
It is the art of James Koehnline, the guy who does all of those wonderful Bill Laswell/Axiom records covers.
I just thought you'd get a kick out of it.

 
At 6/03/2006 9:36 PM, Blogger Paxjorge said...

Oh crap, ok... Still great stuff, but on my Laswell stuff there's no artwork at all (it's all black, white or silver - plain, too). But come to think of it, I do recognise the style in Praxis' releases. Thanks anyway, duder!

 
At 6/04/2006 4:55 AM, Blogger Chardman said...

This guy has a lot of Laswell and other covers:
http://www.domainofdarkness.com/cd.php?section=Various

 
At 6/04/2006 5:45 AM, Blogger Paxjorge said...

Taaa!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home