Friday, August 25, 2006

Oskar Fried conducts Saint-Saëns' Danse Macabre (1927) and Berlioz' Symphonie Fantastique (1937)

Well, it's frustratingly difficult to find even the slightest amount of information regarding the classical music conductor Oskar Fried (1871-1941)... I'll have to move down to the library, which has reached near-obsoletion since the advent of the internet! Anyway, I found this disc at the local library and considered posting it after another b-logger posted Saint-Saëns' Carnival des Animaux. What you get on this release are actually two productions from two different eras.

The first is a rare recording from 1928: the Danse Macabre by Saint-Saëns. If you've never heard it, you must - and if you like it, try to get hold of a modern (clean) recording. After all, a 20's recording is more of historical (i.e. relative) value than of actual aesthetic worth. I also remember a book from my music classes at school which depicted bar by bar the movements of a number of skeletons. I can't remember its name, but it was definitely fascinating.

The second part (tracks two onward) are a 1937 recording of Berlioz' Symphonie Fantastique. To be honest, I'm afraid I've only listened to it once, so I will forbear giving my remarks. Nevertheless, Berlioz is one of the great masters of classical music and this is a recording from Germany in the 1930s so let's shout Heil Hitler and wave our arms about and all that and build up our military resources... Or not, of course. :-)

Anyway, do check out part 1 of this split archive, as that is where the Danse Macabre is in its entirity; part 2 contains the rest of the Berlioz' symphony (I presume that's for the fans). All that being said, I'm going for a beer now. Or two.

IFNKOVHGROGHPRM (Pt 1)

IFNKOVHGROGHPRM (Pt 2)

13 Comments:

At 8/27/2006 5:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahahahaha Van Dam?

 
At 8/29/2006 5:40 PM, Blogger Paxjorge said...

Yep, the north of the country, ie Flanders. Belgium is also one of the main centres of 20th century Surrealism, as the nation's construction proves: recently, it became a federal country. Effectively, there are four states within it: Flanders, Wallonia, Brussels, and the umbrella-state of federalism. It's comparable to how the USA works, only different in that Americans are not welcome here. Not my fault though... :-)

 
At 8/30/2006 10:28 AM, Blogger zhao said...

Trade links?

I'm here: www.differentwaters.blogspot.com

cheers

 
At 8/30/2006 5:16 PM, Blogger zhao said...

and sorry but I can not find a password for some old Front 242 files? (nostalgic sentimentality in my old age for synth industrial... )

 
At 8/30/2006 5:40 PM, Blogger Paxjorge said...

I just had a look at you b-log: very interesting indeed! I'll add yours to my links-section anon.

And about the Front: if you told me which albums, I might be able to help you out. Anyway, you could always try the default pass, which is:

eclecticelectelectric 3.14159265

 
At 8/30/2006 7:38 PM, Blogger zhao said...

strange I tried the default pass and it didn't work but now it does. I used to listen to those 242 albums when I was 15... oh the memories... thanks! :)

 
At 9/08/2006 11:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Zhao,
Im about to send Pax some more front 242 stuff.So be patient and keep bugging his lasy beersoaked ass to get stuff up and running.
Im always glad to find more sentimental old fools who are into this kind of music so ill send him some other nice things too.
Have you tried the Klinik cd he posted?

 
At 9/13/2006 8:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

just look at arbiterrecords.com in the catalog section CD 140, which has much info on Oskar Fried.

 
At 9/13/2006 8:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

just look at arbiterrecords.com in the catalog section CD 140, which has much info on Oskar Fried.

 
At 9/23/2006 3:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

did i just read larve call himself a sentiMENTAL old fool?

 
At 2/09/2007 10:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been looking for this forever. Could you please repost? Thank you.
-K

 
At 2/17/2007 3:05 PM, Blogger Paxjorge said...

Ok, won't be for today though. Probably sometime next week, keep checking. And if I forget, just post another comment to remind me!

 
At 3/13/2007 10:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Paxjorge,
Just reminding you if you can please repost this Oskar Fried disc. I've been searching for this for years. I am a major collector of the Sy. Fantastique and I read that this is one of the weirdest and wildest interpretations ever. Thanks. Also, check out my Mega Super Mammoth MP3 blog list if you have time. I have your blog listed on it. Your site is muy bien. Thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home