Tuesday, August 08, 2006

William Ørbit - Pieces in a Modern Style (2000)

William Orbit (aka Ørbit) is a British musician and producer who has throughout his lifetime received much critical acclaim, notably for his production work with Madonna. When Pieces, Orbit's sixth solo release, came out in 2000, I was intrigued by the idea, but also a little wary: more often than not, digitalized classical music verges dangerously close to kitsch (if you've seen A Clockwork Orange, I'm sure you know what I mean!). Nevertheless, Pieces is a meticulously crafted album, very warm and beatifully touching. You'll mostly hear deep synths, little blips and an acoustic guitar here and there, all merging very nicely. I think it would be fair to say that this is a masterpiece in the genre (most other similar attempts reaching back to the 1970s). If you're into soft, lush ambient music or possibly if you're a lover of classical music, I think you'll like this. And I'm quite interested in your opinion here!

    Tracks
  1. Samuel Barber - Adagio for Strings (9:34)
  2. John Cage - In a Landscape (2:57)
  3. Erik Satie - Ogive Number 1 (6:44)
  4. Pietro Mascagni - Cavalleria Rusticana (3:19)
  5. Maurice Ravel - Pavane pour une Infant Defunté (6:11)
  6. Antonio Vivaldi - L'Inverno (3:57)
  7. Ludwig van Beethoven - Triple Concerto (5:32)
  8. George Frideric Handel - Xerxes (4:42)
  9. Henryk Górecki - Piece in the Old Style 1 (5:06)
  10. Henryk Górecki - Piece in the Old Style 3 (5:49)
  11. Ludwig van Beethoven - Opus 132 (6:14)
Total time: 1:00:02

IFNKOVHGROGHPRM



And for the citizens of South America (where in my opinion live most beautiful girls and women in the world!), here's a RS uppie of this album:

IFNKOVHGROGHPRM (RS Pt 1)

IFNKOVHGROGHPRM (RS Pt 2)

18 Comments:

At 8/08/2006 7:38 PM, Blogger Paxjorge said...

Wo-ho Moog! I wouldn't speak ill of that film (or any other by Kubrick, for that matter). I remember having read the book before I even knew there was a film version, too - and both blew me away! I was referring to nothing else but the kitsch elements in it, especially the film. Kubrick raises kitsch to a new level, but it's still kitsch, I guess grotesque in a way.

Mucho respecto, Oh My Brother!

 
At 8/10/2006 4:04 PM, Blogger Ego Kornus said...

i like to hear this music and very curious about this but helaas this is not ment for Argentina people because at megaupload is an discrimination of 3th world people so not your faulth
but i want to tell so you know

 
At 8/10/2006 11:39 PM, Blogger Ego Kornus said...

yousendit is perfect for me
and thanx a lot for the extra care!!

 
At 8/11/2006 2:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi there. this looks interesting but seems to need a password and i can't find it anywhere?
help????

 
At 8/11/2006 2:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry, my eyes were still blurry, thx!

 
At 8/11/2006 7:04 PM, Blogger Paxjorge said...

Don't worry Moogy, my 6-foot deep respect for the dead will ensure Korpus getting a special upload to music-heaven. Would there be rapidshare, had Hitler won the war? Who knows...

 
At 8/11/2006 7:18 PM, Blogger Paxjorge said...

And mr Anonymous, I know ALL about blurry eyes, since I wear plastic lenses... ;-)

Blurry eyes and hazy minds:
we often err, trying to find
a way through thicket and thorn.
Late at night and early morning:
intoxication is for many a way
of life, even though we all know
it is a spiral winding down,
down to slow, dim ignorance
masked by loud extravagance.
Dionysos, you who stand tall
and proud: allow the lost to call
upon you and keep their balance!

 
At 8/12/2006 1:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was curious and although I had trouble with the pass @ 1st, the end result was: too new age=eeee
for my taste, but appreciate the share!!!

 
At 8/13/2006 1:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was actually thinking to put this one on my blog. Definitely not Orbit's best but still a very nice and interesting opus...

Btw, I used your Praxis link since mine got deleted from Rapidshare and I was unable to upload it again. I put your blog in my links too. It's a very nice blog! Keep up the good work!

@MoogPower, though a HUGE Kubrik fan, (Barry Lindon, Path of Glory & 2001 are definitely in my all time top 20!), I can't stand and never understood what was so good about Clockork Orange... A mediocre movie in my opinion.

 
At 8/19/2006 8:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello from germany,

any hints where i can find the password for this... I tried and searched but didnt succeed ;(

 
At 8/23/2006 8:28 AM, Blogger Paxjorge said...

eclecticelectelectric 3.14159265


gotta go now!

(Joke of the three O's)

 
At 8/25/2006 12:48 PM, Blogger Ego Kornus said...

Heej Pax mucho gracias
i apriciate a lot
great!!!

 
At 9/23/2006 3:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

good to see your sharing with your fellow undead pax!
this actualy quite surprised me!
ill bend over and take it hard for saying this butt...
i like!

 
At 12/03/2006 6:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi people
I do not know what to give for Christmas of the to friends, advise something ....

 
At 12/04/2006 2:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. Good day
Who listens to what music?
I Love songs Justin Timberlake and Paris Hilton

 
At 12/04/2006 11:23 PM, Blogger Paxjorge said...

Give them a tie...

But if you would like me to re-up anything on this website, I'll do it for you. Just let me know in time.

Beyond that: anything by Laika, Mazzy Star, FSOL, "Ghost Reveries" by Opeth if they're into metal, or download loads of minimal house from the links on the right side of the screen - I gave some friends loads of that stuff and they really loved it - and it's free & legal.

Or a tie, that is.

 
At 1/03/2007 8:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am really excited! This will be my first time visiting, good stuff. Very useful. Enjoyed the visit!
- paxdiero.blogspot.com e
07 car civic honda
buy used car
car undefined used
used car bergen
used car oakland
used car greensboro
used car raleigh
used car killeen
used car vallejo
used car tacoma

 
At 1/30/2007 2:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

PISS OFF SPAMMER DEADSHIT

 

Post a Comment

<< Home